Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating basement above-grade walls

12-12-03, 10:33 AM   #1  
Insulating basement above-grade walls

Hello,

I want to insulate my basement in Southeastern Ohio. The house is built on a hill so that the back of the basement is covered by dirt and the front is covered only about one-third. Also, I have a walk-out basement one one side, so that the basement wall is completely exposed there. My question is: Can I insulate the exposed portion of the wall on the exterior, and if so, what would be the best material to use? Also, what would be the best covering, if any, over the insualtion on the exterior?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links

MO

12-13-03, 12:28 PM   #2  
basement

I would put a V/B on all the walls stud them out steel or wood Geen wood for the plates and F/G in them paper side to the room. R19 blocks in all the joist up there on the sill plate. Then what ever you want panel or dry wall. Do the ceiling in a T bar so you can get back into it when you want. ED

12-15-03, 09:48 AM   #3  
Thank you, Ed, that's what I'll do. I have to admit, though, I can't figure out what V/B stands for

By the way, I found a document about basement insulation from the Building Science Corporation that I found very interesting. You may or may not have seen it already:

http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...on_systems.pdf

Thanks again

MO

12-15-03, 10:12 AM   #4  
insulation

V/B stands for vapor barrier Like a 4 mil poly hang on all the walls
WIll take a look at that www. there are a lot of them on the .gov ED

Search this Thread