Water Softener Condensation

Old 12-11-03, 09:15 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Softener Condensation

Not sure if this is the correct area for this question, but here goes ...

Is there any type of an insulating wrap or blanket for water softeners and pressure tanks? Mine is in the garage, and in the humid summertime months, they are constantly sweating. I've got a fan to blow on them, which works fairly well, but hate leaving it on when nobody is home. The pipes I've got covered with the insulating tubes, so they're not much of a problem. I just hate seeing the tanks covered with condensation for a week at a time, and a trail of water to the drain.

Thanks for any ideas or help!
Jeff

Old 12-11-03, 10:29 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The rule is warm air condenses on cooler surfaces, so anything that you put around your tanks will prohibit the condensation during the summer. You just have to keep in mind that it is the warm humid air that causing the condensation. In other words, whatever you decide to wrap the tanks with must be air tight.

For example, fiberglass insulation would not work well in this application because of the warm humid air could get inside the insulation. Whereas, the foam pipe insulation would be good because it is a closed cell type of insulation and air could not get in. You know that bubble wrap that everyone likes to pop, that would work well. The foam sheets used to wrap furniture also would work well. So the characteristics for the wrap would be water resistant, closed cell and flexible enough to wrap around.

Last edited by resercon; 12-11-03 at 01:49 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: