knee wall-storage access & insulation

Old 12-16-03, 04:18 PM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
knee wall-storage access & insulation

Hello,

I'm currently framing in my attic for a future master bedroom. I'm looking for ideas for strorage behind the knee wall. Obviously I'll have to make panels,sliding doors etc. to gain access. Here's where I need some advice! I'll need at least two 4x4 panels on both sides of the room to get good access. I have a ton of stuff to store and why waste this space. My concern with doing this is loosing heat since I'll have all these access points. Any ideas or sources where I can obtain some building plans and insulating tips for this structure???

Thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-03, 06:23 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulate the attic floor behind the knee walls, insulate the knee walls, use a hollow core door or other suitable door for the access and add insulation to the back of it along with weather stripping.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-03, 07:27 PM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
Thanks Chris! Didn't dawn on me to use a hollow core door but makes much sense. Not only lighter but I can insulate between the luan panels. I'd like a door I can slide yet I want to keep it flush with the wall.......any ideas??? Do they make something you can pull out and slide for this type of application??? Keep in mind this mechanism if there is one would have to support a large panel......say 4x4. If I was to use tracks my door would be recessed 4" from my wall and I wish to stay away from that. I could make it stationary and make latches to keep it in place though this takes away from easy access......somethin tells me this is the most common method......open for all suggestion!

Thanks
Tom

Old 12-16-03, 08:46 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It seems that a sliding door would be more difficult to weatherproof than a swinging door or set into place panel would be.

Old 12-16-03, 11:18 PM
sharvel
Visiting Guest
My thoughts too Chris.... I'll most likely do the panels for that very reason......I definitely like the luan hollow core idea!

Cheers
Tom