Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Old insulation, should it be removed or is it still worth leaving?

Old 01-02-04, 07:19 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've recently added additional insulation to some bare back walls in my finished attic area. There is still an unfinished portion which we are looking to finish off for a walk in closet. There is one portion of the attic which I have access to and there was insulation on the ceiling. I was prev told by the homeinspector to remove this from the ceiling as it was unnecessary and to add it to the walls. I began attempting to remove the old insulation and it basically just crumbled to pieces. The floor did not have any insulation so as the ceiling insulation crumbled I stuffed it between the floor joist. Will this old insulation provide any value in terms of insulation or is it wortless. I plan on adding more insulation and poss blown in insulation. I would rather not have to remove the old insulation as it will be time consuming and messy. What do you think? Thanks.

June

Old 01-02-04, 12:08 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If I understand, the insulation is on the underside of the roof. If so, remove it. It does no good unless there is an air space between it and the roof; and can cause problems by overheating the roofing.

Old 01-02-04, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation insulation

I would put a roll of paper back down in the joist first. Paper side down to the room below for a V /B then let this other insulation on top of it. like Chfite said you dont want the insulation against the roof. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: