Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garage Ceiling insulation

Visiting Guest

12-31-03, 11:19 PM   #1  
MCC
Garage Ceiling insulation

I have insulated my garage and all is left is the ceiling. I want to leave the rafters open. Is there any way I can insulate between the trusses? How to attach the insulation to the roof without punching nails through? Any ideas would be most appreciated. I really don't want to insulate over the trusses.

thanks!

Sponsored Links

01-01-04, 06:16 AM   #2  
What's the center-to-center spacing on the trusses? 24" is very common.

What size are the rafters? 2"x4" or 2"x6"?

What kind of roof decking do you have? Skip sheathing or solid? Skip sheathing is 1"x6" boards placed across the rafters and spaced about 6" apart. If you can see the roofing paper, you have skip sheathing. Solid decking is usually OSB, flakeboard, or CDX plywood.

You should be able to see all of this from inside the garage. Please check and post back with the answers.

MO

01-01-04, 09:17 AM   #3  
Insulation

You could just tack the paper to the 2x4 on the truss up there. but any insulation you put up there against the roof is not right at all .You need air over the top of the insulation next to the roof all of the time. ED

Search this Thread