attaching strapping for more ceiling insulation

Old 01-11-04, 06:10 PM
Scott McDonald
Visiting Guest
attaching strapping for more ceiling insulation

Greetings.

I'm converting my 1920s bungalow attic for additional living space. I may be a little ahead of myself as I try to figure out a way to add more insulation to the ceiling. I have about 9' from floor to ridge and 5' knee walls.

The rafters are 2x6. I have baffle vents between all rafters that run from ridge vent to soffit. I have no collar ties. I've already installed R-19 faced batts over the baffle vents, but the more I read, I realize I need more. I would like to use rigid foam and realize it can be installed perpendicular to the rafters. My first question is how can I install strapping material to which I can add the insulation and insure strength to secure drywall? I would like to avoid having to scab 2x material as it would require removing insulation I've already installed.

My second question has to do with the attic dormer. There is no way to vent the valley, so do I bother installing baffle vents in between the rafters in the dormer, above it and on either side of it?

I look forward to your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-04, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb insulation

You could use the polystyrene sheets or the foam sheets and just put them on the ceiling by nail. Then the drywall on top with longer screws.
Yes put the baffles in the valley there you dont want the insulation to touch the roof. ED