insulating tips?

Old 01-18-04, 05:43 AM
insulating tips?

I am remodeling my 1300 sqft ranch room by room. The only insulation this house has is 1/2" foam board outside under the vinyl siding. As I do each room I am planning on removing the plaster on the exterior walls and insulating and new drywall. I am looking for tips and best practices or rules of thumb for insulating. Any good info web sites would be great. I will also be insulating the attic space(floor joists), and the crawl space under the addition, what is the best way to do this. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-04, 08:00 AM
Blown in insulation is a handy alternative to batt insulation in that it is cheaper because the labor component is yours. It seems to be less overall trouble and mess to blow insulation into the walls than to remove the walls, install batt insulation, then replace the walls.

Here are some articles on insulation that might help with your project.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-04, 07:49 PM
I have installed blown in insulation before and yes, it is easier, but doesn't it settle over the years and isn't it easy to miss smaller cavities. I also should have mentioned that all of my electrical outlets are two prong, not grounded, another plus to opening up the walls.

Not sure, but I don't see the articles you attached for me?

Old 01-18-04, 08:35 PM
http://doityourself.com/insulate/index.htm

How about this? Sorry.