Antique House with Antique walls.

Old 01-18-04, 06:31 AM
telcoman
Visiting Guest
Antique House with Antique walls.

My home is approx 100yrs old. The walls of course, are lathe and plaster. Most of the walls on the first floor are lathe and plaster with a layer of drywall added on to refinish the rooms. The previous owners had new vinyl siding placed on the exterior, but, were too cheap to have insulation board placed before the siding was installed.

I would like to blow insulation into these walls, however, I was told this would be nearly impossible because the insulation would hang up onto the plaster protruding from in between the laths causing a clog. Therefore the insulation would never reach to bottom of the wall. Is there any remedy for this situation without ripping all of the siding off the house and starting over???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-04, 08:07 AM
Blowing cellulose insulation into the walls does not suffer from the problem that you have been told. The fiberglass insulation could become entangled on the interior of the walls, but it may not be so much of a problem. The more granular-shaped cellulose would not tend to catch on the irregularities.

This page has some handy information on insulating and insulating walls.

http://doityourself.com/insulate/index.htm

Hope this helps.