Insulation Quantity and Pricing

Old 01-19-04, 07:06 PM
Contractor trying to rip me off??!!

I sent this email to Green Fiber...the company that makes the Coccon cellulose product they sell at Lowes/Home Depot used in attic applications. What do you guys think?

The email reads:

"Recently I had a contractor quote me on a job of blowing the Cocoon cellulose product in my attic. His quote included the number of bags so I felt I could clearly evaluate the difference his labor would cost me outside of purchasing the product at my local Home Depot or Lowes (free machine rental with 20 bags) and doing it myself. He claims that the Cocoon cellulose that he uses is different then what I would actually purchase at the local store. He said that his has an adhesive additive so the cellulose is not as messy but the main thing that I want to know is, do you sell such a product to contractors in a different quantity coverage per bag? I mean, he quoted me 33 bags to bring an R-30 to an R-49 for approximately 1940 sqft. When I do this calculation for the product I can purchase at Lowes/Home Depot, I come up with needing 52 bags.

Can you clarify if this is a different product or you sell the bags in larger quantities to contractors/installers?"

It will be interesting to read their response...but I am a little suspicious.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 07:27 PM
I would be suspicious as well.

My calculations show that there should be about 49 bags, using Cocoon's number for fill depth for R-value. R-19 should be about 6 inches for this product when applied.

Post back with what you hear from Cocoon.

Old 01-20-04, 09:39 AM
Lightbulb Cellulose insulation

I dont have the paper work on it here. But look on the bags and see how many ft it covers for a given R value. Then you get your answer.Years back we had to start putting it in with the job and to back the heating cost. Found out the insulation guys would open up the air shutter on the bower. Tell you how good you where so they would give you a 8" blow for the same $$$ as the 6". Oh ya and use about 2/3 of the bags they should have. To check them out on a job make a metal box like 12"X12" open bottom and top. Push it down in the insulation. dig this all out and weigh it. That will tell you if you got HAD. This day and age If you can do it do it yourself. Also you do have a good V/B down there. Be sure and look at the bags for what they cover for an R value. ED

Old 01-20-04, 04:58 PM
Here's the response from cocooninsulation:

"The contractor bag is bigger and with him using the adhesive, it uses less product for coverage. I checked your calculations and it would take 33 bags for the contractor. It is basically the same product except for the adhesive for a different application.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Suzie
Customer Service
800 228-0024
[email protected]
www.cocooninsulation.com"

Looks like the guy was on the upper-up.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 01-20-04, 07:37 PM
It is a good thing you followed up. If he had told me 33 bags without any explanation and my calculations were that different, I would have sent him away empty-handed. Even with the larger bags, you should have enough empty bags at the end of the day to account for the total volume needed to complete the job.

Old 01-21-04, 06:12 AM
Lightbulb insulation

The bags that have the adhesive with Should be used only like for the fill in on the walls then the 4 mil poly then the drywall. I would not use this for up in the attic.

My .02 cents ED

Old 01-21-04, 06:28 AM
Re: insulation

Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
The bags that have the adhesive with Should be used only like for the fill in on the walls then the 4 mil poly then the drywall. I would not use this for up in the attic.

My .02 cents ED

Good point...you are right, I wouldn't want that stuff blown in the attic. I would image that Suzie would have caught that since I specified that they were going to blow it in the attic. I emailed her back for clarification.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-21-04, 06:55 AM
Re: Re: insulation

Originally posted by bverdon

Good point...you are right, I wouldn't want that stuff blown in the attic. I would image that Suzie would have caught that since I specified that they were going to blow it in the attic. I emailed her back for clarification.

Thanks for the heads up.
Cocoon has already responded:

"The wall spray is a blue bag and can be put in the attic. The typical attic insulation is in a green bag and is called Cocoon2 Stabilized. Let me know if you need anything else.
Thanks,

Suzie

Customer Service
800 228-0024
[email protected]
www.cocooninsulation.com"