Air Infiltration Around Outlets

Old 01-20-04, 09:34 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Infiltration Around Outlets

Hi all. I'm getting some air infiltration around outlets and switch boxes. The drywall is trimmed fairly close to all the boxes, and from some searches I've done here it seems like about the only option I have is to use the insulating covers underneath the wall plates. There's not enough room between the box and drywall to get some expanding foam in there. Any other tips/tricks?

One thing I thought of that might be a little severe is ... the house is vinyl-sided, with blueboard underneath, then the studs. I was kicking around the option of removing a strip or two of siding, cutting out a small piece of blueboard, sticking some insulation across the back of the box, then sealing it back up. In the springtime, of course!

Any comments? Thanks!

Old 01-20-04, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb insulation

Id say put the little covers under the wall plates.Dont know where you are but like here all the holes in the top and bottom plates have to be sealed with the foam. Around the wires and any pipe to stop just that. Have you looked at yours

A small register in the crawl way duct would help warm the floors

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 01-20-04 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 04:03 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Ed. I think that's what I'll do (the outlet covers). I've still got a problem with pumping heat into non-living space, though! I've done some searches here on the crawlspace insulation method you recommend, but still have a problem with the philosophy of either opening vents in the winter time as opposed to summertime, or leaving them closed all year. If the latter is done, do you need a radon test done yearly?

The house does not have any wrap around it underneath the siding. It wouldn't bother me to spend the time and effort to pull the siding off this spring and do this if you think it would be beneficial. There is a vapor barrier (clear poly sheet) underneath the drywall, as I found this when I remodeled a bathroom. I think I just answered my own question - you don't want vapor barrier on both sides of the insulation, do you? Cellulose in the walls between the blueboard and the poly sheet.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: