Insulating finished BASEMENT

Old 01-21-04, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulating finished BASEMENT

I have a finished basement with wall paneling that is not insulated. Is there a way that I can insulate without tearing off all the paneling? I was thinking about using the blow in insulation and jamming it between the panel and the concrete wall, I have a suspended ceiling that gives be acces to the top of the paneling. I also thought of using polystyrene and cutting it to fit between the studs and sliding it behind the paneling. The only areas that would be hard to get to is where the electrical boxes are located. Or is there a better way? The paneling is mounted to a concrete block foundation using 1x2's.

thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-04, 09:24 PM
MRT19,

At this point, it best to insulate properly and if you don't have access to the entire wall, rigid won't work as the wires will be in the way. If you can't do it right, the effort is worthless.

Blown insulation shouldn't be used unless you have a vapor barrier over it. This also should not be touching the concrete block.

Best advice is to remove what you have, properly frame the walls as I have suggested in numerous posts.

I think Ed would agree but let's hear what he has to say about this.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-24-04, 02:19 PM
OH BOY

I guess just call doug and me the kill joy boys here . I with doug all the way. 1"X 2" nailed into the block wall oh boy. No V/B on the block wall oh boy.

Ill bet you can save the panels and do the room right . The T bar ceiling can stay just take off the edge where its to the panel I know I would do this before you end up with mole and who knows what else down there in the basement.

This dont help much sorry ED