GREAT STUFF or not so great?

Old 01-22-04, 07:48 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GREAT STUFF or not so great?

Hi
I may have just done something stupid. I sprayed some Great Stuff into a junction box for a double switch. No more icy air blowing in!! But I did a Google search and learned that Dow doesn't recommend this. They say on their website that Great Stuff shouldn't contact bare copper wires, but they don't say why. What do you think? Thanks.
Mike (and Emily)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-04, 09:02 PM
S
Well, the only potential bare wire in that box is the ground wire. All other wires must be insulated. If you see green wires, that's the ground. Otherwise, you need to ask yourself if any bare wires were to be found.

I would never foam the interior of an electrical box, but it's not the end of the world. Dig it out with a non-metallic tool. You might want to turn off power to that circuit.

As to the small amount of bare wire at each terminal, I doubt the foam got that far.

Old 01-24-04, 06:03 AM
E
Thanks Steve
I emailed Dow and they sent me this response:

"Mike, One-component foams should never be used inside an electrical box or panel due to the potential for combustion. These foams will burn if exposed to open flame or sparks.
Polyurethane foams will not damage the insulation on electrical wiring. These products are also dielectric(they will not conduct electrical current). If you have any further question's, feel free to contact us at 1-888-668-3801. Thank you"

It sounds like the only concern is that the foam is combustible/flammable.

I may have to dig it out and use something else. Any suggestions? I tried fiberglass insulation + a foam outlet cover and the air was still blowing in. I have a feeling that this wall (in exposed basement family room) was not insulated at all. The entire wall is very cold in the winter. Also, I'm wondering if Great Stuff is flammable after the gases have a chance to leach out of the foam. Hmm. There's an experiment here . . .

Old 01-24-04, 09:00 AM
Can you look at or see the plates on this wall. Did they foam all the holes where the wires goesup into the wall or pipes. its code here. yes it wwll burn. thats why I like cellulose it dont burn or like fiberglass dont burn but it will melt ED

Old 01-24-04, 09:44 AM
E
Thanks Ed
When you say plates are you referring to where the wires enter the wall? Cellulose eh? If I stuff that thing with cellulose, will it insulate it well? As well as fiberglass? Thanks for the help.
Mike

Old 01-24-04, 10:58 AM
You can blow the cellulose into the walls there and fill the studs. Check with home de pot and slowes they have the blowers to use . Yes the holes where the wires go up into the wall. Another place to look at where the joist set on the basement walls or so called sill plate you want to also put some insulation in each one . Cut a block of R19 to fit and push it up in there. all around the home ED

Old 01-24-04, 11:12 AM
E
Thanks Ed