Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cellulose loose fill in attic

01-23-04, 03:23 AM   #1  
cellulose loose fill in attic

Hi,
I want to upgrade my attic insulation. It is about rafter high, but over the years has moved/settles, so I would like to add some over top of it.
I want to use the cellulose loose fill, BUT I don't really want to have to rent a machine and blow it in. Will just spreading it by hand work, and what would be the proper method for doing it? Do I really get a lot less coverage by doing it manually?
I'd very much appreciate some tips and responses. Thanks
George
p.s. I live north of Montreal

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-23-04, 02:02 PM   #2  
rebus20
I rented a machine from lowes for hardly nothing. I think it was $20 or so but it defenetely works well. I would have hated to do it by hand. Make sure you have a good mask and keep the blower outside because it makes a huge mess.

MO

01-23-04, 04:45 PM   #3  
Dont do it

Dont try by hand to put it in it dont work. Also make sure you keep an eye on the air intake so it is right. If you dont you can get a bad blow .By that I mean you will have to much insulation in one spot and not enought in the other. See that you cover the sq ft that the bag has on it for the R value you want. ED

01-23-04, 06:33 PM   #4  

Am I better of then just getting R-12 fiberglass batts and laying them across the beams?
Or do you get much less coverage with the battes?
George

MO

01-24-04, 08:49 AM   #5  
You will get a better job with the blow in cellulose. Dont forget the foam air strips in the rafters so you dont block the air from the vents in the overhang. ED

Forum Topic Moderator

WA

01-24-04, 09:45 AM   #6  
I blew it in my attic because none of the insulating companies would not call me back. They were just to busy. It was a terrible job and I will be a little patient next time and wait for someone to call. I would get an estimate to have it done. I think you will be surprised at how little it will cost to have someone do it for you. Made quite a difference in the comfort of my home.

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Search this Thread