Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Putting new insulation over old

Visiting Guest

01-23-04, 08:41 AM   #1  
tsand72
Putting new insulation over old

Hi folks,
We live in a house built in the late 40's... and our attic insulation is looking to be in bad shape. I'm not sure what kind it is... but I can tell you what it looks like: The current insulation has paper on either side of it and is only about 1-2 inches thick.

Also of note, the previous owner of our house covered the entire floor space of our attic with plywood for storage space. And we have drop down stairs.

So, I have some questions... (1) Can I lay unfaced new insulation right over the old insulation? (2) Once I lay the new insulation, should I replace all of the plywood? (I'm assuming that if I end up with 12-15 inches of insulation, the ply wood will compress it). (3) I've read that a rigid foil-faced foam board glued to the inside of the attic access is a good way to manage heat loss in drop-down attic access areas. True? False? Any suggestions?

Other than what I've been reading online... I am at a loss when it comes to insulation issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TSAND72

Sponsored Links

MO

01-23-04, 04:55 PM   #2  
#1 Yes you can here. That old paper on both sides there you will find that the paper on the top is just paper while the paper on the bottom to the room side has like a tar on it for the V/B

#2 no you dont want to compress it

#3Like around the stair opening yes or you could do it with the ductboard that is used for duct work.

ED

Visiting Guest

01-24-04, 11:04 AM   #3  
tsand72
Thanks, ED... very helpful responses

MO

01-26-04, 11:50 AM   #4  
forgot----- No paper on the new insulation that goes over the old
or like you said unfaced for sure. It also should run the other way from the insulation that is down there. ED

Search this Thread