Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

R19 in 2x4 walls?

Visiting Guest

01-24-04, 07:02 AM   #1  
THE_BBC2
Using an R19 value for 2 x 4 walls?

If building an additon with a 2 x 4 walls, instead of using an R13 insulation, can I use R19?. Is it more beneficial or will it hurt the actual warmth of the house by squeezing an R19 into an R13 space? Should I bother?Using an R19 value for 2 x 4 walls? [SIZE=3]Using an R19 value for 2 x 4 walls?[/SIZE]

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

01-24-04, 07:49 AM   #2  
Hello: BBC2

The common thinking is "More Is Better" theory. Works in some cases but not in all cases. More is better when it pertains to engine cubic inches. More cubes equals more horsepower.

Such is not the case with insulation. The "dead air" space is required to provide the insulation properties. Also the ventilation needed.

Stuffing and or packing insulation reduces it's energy saving abilities and reduces the needed ventilation in the material. So more is not always better nor best.

Our resident insulation professionals will likely provide you with more detailed information. Check back on your question several more times.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Visiting Guest

01-24-04, 05:38 PM   #3  
THE_BBC2
R19 IN 2 X 4 WALLS?

Thanks for the advice.
Are there anything else I can do to make the house more warm (since gas prices wentup and will go up again_. R13 insulation just doesn't sound like its enough
I appreciate all advice, large, small, meaniless or not.

Thanks all again. This is truly n excellent site

Visiting Guest

01-25-04, 09:24 AM   #4  
It Wasn't Me!
Why not build the addition with 2x6 walls? that way you can use R-19 insulation.

MO

01-25-04, 09:36 AM   #5  
We have found that it dont pay to try and build with 2"x6" stud wall for more insulation. By the time your done with windows and doors forget it. We go 2"X4"studs and R 13. Then they have many kinds of foam insulation boards out . Some will go to a R 4.5 and better. This is what we put on out side then a house wrap then the siding. Wood or say Drivit. ED

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

01-25-04, 10:12 AM   #6  
Hi: BBC2

"R13 insulation just doesn't sound like its enough"

"I appreciate all advice, large, small, meaniless or not."

A touch of humor added? Excellent. Glad you included such.

Using insulation will deaden the sound also....
Appreciate advice? Great. Just what the web site is all about.
Plenty of advice. Advice both "Small & Large" Rarely "Meaninless."
Always helpful and provided with good intentions.

Whether R-13 'sounds' right or not, the insulation institute did plenty of research. Testing proved R-13 or R-4.5 is the best for 2x4 wall insulation. Deadens sounds too...

Gas prices are like all other energy and most other consumer prices. Energy prices rise and fall on supply & demand.

Best bet to offset, hedge or recoup some, if not all or more of the heating and cooling billing costs, is to be invested in the energy investment markets.

I'm well "insulated," hear no outside "sounds," appreciate higher natural gas prices & all other higher energy prices.......haha

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Visiting Guest

01-26-04, 03:53 AM   #7  
THE_BBC2
R19 fpr 2 x 4 walls

Thanks for all the advices. This is why I like to come here for info. It's not how large the advice is, but, it's the thought of helping others that counts (even the meaningless). Very much appreciate all your help. Thanks again.

Search this Thread