Insulating a basement wall

Old 01-26-04, 08:23 AM
dbrooks
Visiting Guest
Insulating a basement wall

I am going to finish off part of my basement and need to know the best way to insulate the basement walls. Also, do I need to put plastic sheeting directly on the walls prior to insulating.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-04, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is a very common question here, infact I asked it myself a few weeks ago because all the answers contradict eachother

The answer I finally ended up with was if you are builidng your wall far enough away from the concrete that there is an air gap between the insulation and the wall (what they recomend) then you dont need vapour barier against the concrete, only betwen the insulation and the drywall

Mind you if the insulation does touch the concrete I am not sure of what to do, people still say no vapour barier but in my house that is how they did it and I am tearing out a bunch of moldy insulation now

Old 01-26-04, 10:44 AM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
The "best" way to insulate basement walls can be found in this article:

http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...on_systems.pdf

Basically, rigid foamboard adhesively applied to the concrete wall, followed by framing, with unfaced insulation in the stud cavities.

You DO NOT want ANY vapor barrier when insulating against a concrete wall. Unique's experiece with moldy insulation is the reason why. The vapor barrier just beneath the drywall helps the condensation from inside the wall, and keeps it from drying out.

Old 01-26-04, 10:59 AM
Ill say this. 40 years on basements. Some earth contact homes. All with V/B on the cement walls 2 X4 studs Insulation if paper to the room on top of that poly V /B then drywall. Have been back to some NO MOLD at all
ED

Old 01-26-04, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry Ed but did you say vapour barrier on the cement walls and then the insulation. I could be misreading it but it sounds like that and then another layer between insulation and drywall, what would be 2 layers of VB right?
Or did you say no VB between insulation and cement?

Old 01-26-04, 12:44 PM
We hang a poly V/B on the cement wall. From the sill plate down. Most of the time some if its on the floor. If so we set the bottom w/t or green wood plate right on top of it for the 2X4 wall. 1" out Insulation in the studs then a poly over that then dry wall or what ever. ED