Vapor barrier upside-down

Old 01-30-04, 10:04 PM
Big Guy
Visiting Guest
Vapor barrier upside-down

I recently purchased a lake home in Missouri. I discovered that the 6 inch insulation in the attic was installed with the paper side up. Additionally, the paper has darkened considerably in some areas so I suspect that the high humidity lake environment, plus bath vents dumping in the attic have started a bit of mildew or mold.
I am considering the careful removal of the old vapor barrier, lifting the insulation and dropping additional batts with the barrier down, then putting the old 'unfaced' batts crisscrossed on top.
Is this needed, or should I just vent the bathrooms properly, add more ventilation, and let it go.
Or is there a better approach?

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-04, 07:09 AM
Cool

Bob,
Your insulation plan sounds good to me, and exactly what I would do.
Additionally, plumb those bathroom exhaust vents OUT of your attic through the roof with a covered exhaust vent.
Use insulated exhaust venting in the attic (made for the purpose) or wrap insulation batts (no vapor barrier) around the vent pipes in the unheated attic to prevent the warm, moist exhaust air from condensing inside the vent piping and running back into your exhaust fans.
Don't crush the insulation batts. Just hold them in place with duct tape.
Good Luck!

Old 01-31-04, 12:56 PM
Big Guy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike.

Betwen a 'Big Guy' and an 'Old Guy', I'll get this taken care of.

Bob