Insulation in walls

Old 02-02-04, 06:07 PM
Mattmold
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help! No Insulation in wall!!!!

I am in a bind. I put up a post a while ago describing a problem I have in my kitchen. We re-did the cabinets about 4 years ago and I noticed that the drain for the sink was going through 3 cabinets and into the wall. So, we ran the drain through the floor and capped the pipe in the wall. Well, we didnt patch the hole in the wall (about 1.5 x 1 foot) we put the cabinet infront of it. So, now there is condensation on the inside of the cabinet. I took out the cabinet and I saw some insulation sticking out of the wall, so I assumed that the whole wall was insulated. Nope. No Insulation, someone must have put it there when they did the kitchen before we did. I can put my whole arm up the wall and cant feel nothing but cold air. I hit a hole in the wall in the next joist cavity and the same thing, no insulation. My question is I want to patch the hole in the wall, should I stuff insulation in there? We might have insulation blown in in a few years so I dont want to have any problems. Or, should I just tape a 6mil. poly vapour barrier to what is already there (something that looks like tin foil on the warm side and a paper bag on the cold side) and put drywall over it. The plaster is about 1/2" thick so I can use drywall. The house is about 50 years old and none of the other areas in the house feel cold. They also don't have holes in the walls! thanks for your help!

Old 02-03-04, 05:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Matt,

The last post you described does sound familiar, but after a while all the posts sound familiar!

From what I got from this post, there wasn't a condensation problem prior to this with the old cabinets. If this is correct, I'd say your plan for putting up the poly vapor over what's in there (the foil/brown paper, which sounds like attic wrap to me) is as good a plan as there is at this point. You could just patch the 1' hole with a piece of plywood for a little better insulation factor & then put your poly over that & use duct tape to seal it off real good. Then down the road you can still blow-in insulation from the outside, which is how it's normally done in a retro situation. Good luck.

Old 02-03-04, 02:45 PM
Mattmold
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply awesomedell! So, what you are saying is that it's ok not to add any insulation into the hole. The "attic wrap" is all torn up where the hole is and I was planning on taping a 6mil. one onto whats there. I have to make the hole bigger and square for my drywall. Also, the pipe in the wall goes to the sill plate and elbows out and then goes to the floor in the basement. I was wondering if it's ok to add insulation in either the bottom part of the wall that I'm fixing or around the hole for the old drain pipe itself. I noticed a large draft in the basement around the pipe and hope I can stop it somehow. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: