Attic re-insulation

Old 02-23-04, 09:39 PM
Big Guy
Visiting Guest
Attic re-insulation

I have a lake home in an area with high humidity (Lake of the Ozarks, MO). Several homes in the area have issues with mold, and I am particularly concerned with that possibility. The attic is insulated with r25 FG mounted with facing up. I want to replace with new FG installed with facing down. I local supplier has Johns Manville R25 encapsulated. I assume this serves as a good vapor barrier. Is it the best product for my application?

I will also be properly venting bathrooms, and adding more overall ventilation when I'm hanging out in the attic. Anything else I should do ensure no mold??
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 01:15 PM
First that insulation with the paper up . Boy that has to go for sure. You sure there is no poly on the room side there? What you get new, paper side down to the room ceiling. Dont forget the foam box for in the rafters to let air come in from the over hang. You do have vents in the over hang I hope.You should have about 1sq ft for every 150 sq ft of attic half in and half out Button vents near the ridge. A power vent fan on a tstat pays for the attic when on AC. Then I take it the bath fans you will vent out through the roof.I have not had any mold there at the lake in any of the homes we have worked on or built of many years. Sounds like a" Hill-Billy" put the insulation in there

Where abouts are you there ? Did live on 24 mi Osage Beach. Know it well.ED

Old 02-24-04, 05:41 PM
Big Guy
Visiting Guest
Ed,

It is a 5 year old home in Four Seasons. Just bought it.

Yes, some clown put kraft side up. Isn't there some joke for home insulators about the boss coming by every hour yelling brown side down?

The 4 baths were vented into attic only, so I'll take them to an existing vent or to their own vent.

Is the encapsulated, no formaldahyde JM product OK for my use? I want to do it right - this time.

If you'd like to visit your old hometown, perhaps you could handle this little job. The boat keys are on the counter, and frig is full.

Bob

Old 02-27-04, 09:05 AM
For sure the bath vents to outside on there own. You can pipe to the overhang and out there if you can .

Id take the old out just for mold being in there. The R 25 JM is good.There also is the R-30 Owens Corning for in the atticYou have the new Home Depot there and lowes check for $$$$ at both.

For vents you should have 1 sq ft for 300 sq ft of attic. for R 30 .if not then 1 sq ft for 150sq ft .1/2 in and 1/2 out. Dont forget the rafter foam box for the vent air to get from the overhang over the insulation into the attic. lowes and home depot both have them

We have been going a R 30 or better in the homes there

Ed Have fun

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 02-27-04 at 12:20 PM.

Search this Thread