insulation of Cold cellar

Old 03-07-04, 10:36 AM
ghazanf
Visiting Guest
insulation of Cold cellar

I live in Toronto area. We have harsh and lasting winters. The humidity level is generally above normal.

I have framed my cold cellar, applied insulation (R10) & Vapor barrier. I want to use it as an storage without any moisture, but theres a lot of moisture built up behind the vapor barrier (specially on the ceiling of the cold cellar). I know that temperature differrence between inside of the cellar & out side is usually too much.

The house's front door concrete patio slap (exposed to the outside temperature) constitues my Cellar's ceilling. Three sides of the cellar's walls are under ground except the top 10 inch which is exposed to the outside air.

Before I apply the dry wall, I want to know what I can do to remove (reduce) this moisture build up ?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-04, 04:25 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The vapor barrier in the basement ceiling should face the warm side of the house, which is not facing you if you are in the basement. If this is the case where you installed the insulation in the cold basement and then applied a vapor barrier facing you in the basement, then the moisture behind the vapor barrier is a direct result of installing the vapor barrier incorrectly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: