Insulating Travel Trailer

Old 03-13-04, 05:11 PM
Burs
Visiting Guest
Plastic Bags?

I want to insulate an old caravan, but its not worth spending several hundred dollars on batts. I am looking for any advice on cheap or free alternatives, eg newspaper, straw etc.

One material I thought may work are the thin plastic shopping bags you get your groceries in. If I loosely stuff these into the gap I figure it should create airpockets for insulation.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Old 03-13-04, 10:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A caravan? You mean a car, mini van?

It wouldn't cost more than $30 to insulate the entire thing using unfaced r13 insulation. It also won't do much, you need the thick rubber mats they sell at the car audio places (which IS expensive).

Old 03-14-04, 01:18 AM
Burs
Visiting Guest
My apologies Pendragon... I'm Australian and I think what we call a caravan, you might call a mobile home. Its something you tow behind a vehicle when you go on holidays and it has beds, stove, water, cupboards etc, everything you need.

This one is over 20feet long.

Regards

Old 03-14-04, 06:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello & Greetings: Burs

I would not suggest using plastic bags for a whole host of reasons. Using insulation is of course the best choice. Does more than just insulate for heat loss and outside heat reflection.

Also provides noise reduction and an added bit of fire protection. Be worth the costs to use the insulation if the intended purpose of the trailer home is for year round living, as well as a sporting or recreational vehicle.

If the vehicle has value to you and will be an asset to you, insulation is the best choice. So you might search the junk yards for used insulation removed when older houses are remodeled.

Just one thought. Worked with a fishing, hunting and camping acquaintance of mine. He also used newspapers in some areas as well as pine needles, hay and straw. Surprising how much insulating properties some natural materials can provide.

Using some of natures provided materials, which are free, for the purposes of shelters and insulation, is taught in outdoor survival training classes for big game hunters and fresh water fisherman.

Those natural and nature made materials and those like them make better alternatives to man made materials, which contain chemicals and may produce odors, etc over the years.

"My Two Cents"
Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

BTW: (By The Way)
Beautiful country way down under...

Old 03-14-04, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ok, I got it now..

Are you sure it's not already insulated? All the ones I've ever seen (even OLD ones) here in the states were already insulated with fiberglass batts.

You really don't want to use anything that will readily carry a fire, your escape options are limited in a travel trailer to begin with and they are already tinderboxes without adding extra fuel.

Old 03-17-04, 04:22 PM
Burs
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the Sharp Advice! I'll see about second hand batts from salvage yards etc.

It does have some insulation in it, but it was done very badly having gaps all the way through it, so it virtually useless - an ice box in winter, and oven in summer. I can salvage some of the existing batts, but they are very thin and falling apart for some reason.

Thanks again for your replies.
Burs

PS. I've visited yours and have the same opinion - especially the redwoods - magnificent (or as you would say, awesome!!!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: