Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vapor Barrier ...

CANADA

03-23-04, 10:58 AM   #1  
Vapor Barrier ...

Im in the midst of redoing the front of my house (1948) which has P&L walls and blown insulation. On the side wall, (12'Wx8'H) I have a gas fireplace insert and there is brickwork 5" above my mantel cap and above that, a 6" 'header'.
1.-Should the VB extend down over the brick as well and if so, should I just let it lay against the brick or use that black 'caulking' to attach the VB to the brick? I was planning on putting the sheetrock over the brick (and behind the gap of the mantel cap). Its a tad over 12' wide wall x 8' high. - and Im still trying to figure out the best way to maximize my sheetrock and cut around the fireplace.
2.- At the corners where 1 wall meets the other, should I overlap the VB at the corner, or end 1 wall and then do the other.
What do think?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

MO

03-23-04, 11:49 AM   #2  
What are you going to hang the drywall to. Thats what Id put the V/B on then the drywall.

2.- At the corners where 1 wall meets the other, should I overlap the VB at the corner, or end 1 wall and then do the other.
Over lap it for sure.

ED

CANADA

03-23-04, 11:48 PM   #3  
"What are you going to hang the drywall to. Thats what Id put the V/B on then the drywall. "
The only portion of drywall not attached to the 2x4studs is the brick work which is 56" wide by 5.5" high. The mantel cap is currently 1.5" thick, so right now only 4"x56" of drywall will not be attached to wood, but covering the brick (and behind the mantel cap). That mantel cap will be built up and made 'thicker' to accomodate crown moldings..so maybe 3" x 56" of drywall will not be attached to wood, but tucked behind the mantel cap. So, what I was wondering is if I should I run the VB down over the brick and behind the mantel cap...or end the VB where the wood ends...and leave the drywall sitting against the brickwork without a VB? I'm not sure if I want to try and attached 1/2" rock to brick to cover 3" x 56" - Does this make sense?
2.- Great. thanks, Ed
Thomas.

MO

03-24-04, 09:23 AM   #4  
All I can say there is . Can the brick be cold?? Its like we dont want any warm moist air that can get to some thing that is cold so it can sweat. This is what you want to stop. Its like is there any room there on the brick that you could but some polystyrene insulation, then the drywall. ED

CANADA

03-24-04, 09:43 AM   #5  
Possibly..but not much. There is about 1/8" difference between where the studds extend out and the brick lays -the studds are out 1/8" more than the brick.
Makes sense?

Search this Thread