Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vapor barrier needed?

Visiting Guest

04-11-04, 09:24 AM   #1  
AceI
vapor barrier or not????

My framing is done, my plumbing is roughed in. The electrician is coming this week to rough in. When i put the insulation in (R13) i was intending on a vapor barrier. Well, to do or not to do that is the question?

Sponsored Links

MO

04-11-04, 10:14 AM   #2  
We do all the time put it on now. Over windows and electric out lets then drywall and paint then cut it out at the outlets and windows. This way every thing stays clean for you and you have a good tight V/B there.

ED

CANADA

04-13-04, 10:26 PM   #3  
...So you leave the windows ..and outlets covered while the plaster is drying..then paint?,, wow.. thats a few days in the dark..and without outlets/lights? - or am I misreading this...?
just wondering!

Visiting Guest

04-14-04, 05:11 AM   #4  
Rapid
Just to point out something that gave me a lot of confusion til I figured it out. What you're talking about is the 'air barrier', it prevents moist air from the living area from getting into the insulation. a 'vapour barrier' is used to stop moisture from the the outside of the house from getting in.

hth

MO

04-14-04, 06:54 AM   #5  
We use a clear 4 mil poly over it all then the drywall

thats a few days in the dark..and without outlets/lights? - or am I misreading this...?
you have all the light you need. For lights run a cord from the hall plug in.

ED

CANADA

04-14-04, 09:32 AM   #6  
Well..yea, I gather the poly over the windows is fine...clear, but are you then drywalling the entire wall, then cut out the windows and then plaster joints etc, prime and paint....I presume thats the sequence of events....

MO

04-14-04, 10:46 AM   #7  
You cut out the drywall as you put it up for windows and all elec. box's but let the poly over them while you tape and paint. Then cut the poly out when you go to trim out.This way everything will stay clean for you. need air you can cut a small slit in the poly by a window and open it some.

ED

CANADA

04-14-04, 06:43 PM   #8  
Ok. Kewl.
Would you not want to 'tape' around the Elec boxes and windows etc to seal the VB there, and then finish the drywall process? If you cut the VB out after the drywall is in place, would there not be an air gap (or lack of seal) around the boxes and windows? Just a mechanical aspect of the install?
Food for thought!

CANADA

04-19-04, 08:41 AM   #9  
Another question(s) re my renovations...
I have removed my old P&L walls to add new batt, VB and drywall next. On one wall, I was going to remove the P&L but decided not too, presuming the blown insulation (from 1982) is still good and this is a south facing wall. Can I place VB over the P&L wall, then drywall that to achieve the VB effect and a fresh wall surface?
What (if any) R value is in 3/8" or 1/2" drywall?
Would doing this be beneficial?
Thanks in advance

MO

04-19-04, 09:51 AM   #10  
I would think cost . Hang a 4 mil poly on the wall at the top there and then put the 3/8 drywall on the wall . With P/L there its a good back up for the 3/8".

ED

CANADA

04-20-04, 12:09 AM   #11  
Excellent.
Thats what I'll do.

CANADA

04-25-04, 08:59 AM   #12  
Vabor barrier and the sun!!!

Just wondering....
Im at the stage of my reno's where the batt is in place and Ive started to hang my VB. Im doing this in steps to reduce dust etc floating around, so the drywall isnt hung yet, right after the VB is up. I noticed on the VB package it reads "Keep out of sunlight" (in both Eng and French..Im in Canada..LOL)..anyway. For how long should the VB Not be exposed to sunlight? I get the PM sun hitting part of my wall that is now VB'd. How much time do I have before the drywall should go up?
Should I also tape over the staples holding the VB to the studds?
Just curious.
TIA
Thomas

MO

04-25-04, 09:48 AM   #13  
Have to say duuu here for sure. Have not ran into that about a UV in the poly. Most of the time we have it covered with the dry wall in a week or two. You could cover the window with a shade some . Have seen that blue poly tarps shot in a year down in the caribbean and up here last for 3 years. We dont tape over staples. Just a few at the top is about all if it hanges right.

ED

CANADA

04-25-04, 10:34 AM   #14  
Yea.. I agree on the Duuuu!. Never heard of that either..but thats what the tag said. Whatever.. (these Canadians...hey!!!)..
Something else I noticed.. One side is nice and clean, the other side has a bit of a chalky film on it.
Any idea on that. I cant imagine a 'right' side and a 'wrong' side.. But I put the chalky side 'in'...
Thanks

Search this Thread