Is more better?

Old 04-20-04, 07:25 AM
gseeler
Visiting Guest
Question Is more better?

I live in Atlanta Georgia where basements have an insulation rating of R13. The R13 insulation is rolled within 2x6 framing leaving plenty of room for added insulation to be padded in with the existing R13. My thinking is that this would be an improvement. Am I right or wrong?

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-04, 08:20 AM
For where you live and for the basement It can help a little but not just worth it .When you look at a return on you money. Dont for get to put a 4 mil poly over it before you drywall it.

ED

Old 04-27-04, 07:27 AM
gseeler
Visiting Guest
Question 4 mil poly

Hi! I wasn't successful finding 4 mil poly at the Home Depot yesterday, and when I asked one guy there, he had a lost look which didn't help. Please, would you guide me with what exactly 4 mil poly is and what it is used for? Thank you for your help!

Old 04-27-04, 01:57 PM
Wink

Hi! I wasn't successful finding 4 mil poly at the Home Depot yesterday, and when I asked one guy there, he had a lost look which didn't help. Please, would you guide me with what exactly 4 mil poly is and what it is used for? Thank you for your help!
And you say he works there boy oh boy. Ok just ask that dumb soand so if he has some plastic sheeting it comes in 10'X 25' 4 mil and 6 mil -- 10'X 100' 4 mil and 6 mil
also in clear and black. I like to use the clear all the time.

it will say on the roll for V/B, tarp, crawl spaces, mulch bed, and etc.

ED

Old 04-28-04, 09:04 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
At the HD's by me, it is in the paint section.

Old 04-29-04, 01:19 PM
gseeler
Visiting Guest
Moisture

Ed,

Thanks for your great advice. I have another question if you don't mind. There's two types of insulation faced an unfaced. My basement has unfaced. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I have a hunch that the faced acts like a moisture barrier much like the 4 mil poly that you suggest. If I use the 4 mil poly, will I be defeating the purpose of the unfaced?

In a nutshell, will the 4 mil poly hold back moisture and produce mold?

Once again, thank you for your expertise.

Sincerely,
Gordon Seeler

Old 04-29-04, 01:36 PM
Wink

I'm not sure what the difference is, but I have a hunch that the faced acts like a moisture barrier much like the 4 mil poly that you suggest. If I use the 4 mil poly, will I be defeating the purpose of the unfaced?
You for sure want to put the V/B "poly"on the studs over the unface insulation. then the dry wall. This is to keep the moisture from the home from getting into the insulation.

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 04-29-04 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-30-04, 06:44 AM
gseeler
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Ed,

You answered my questions thank you!!! I understand and will proceed. How would you go about fastening the 4 mil poly with a staple gun or with a glue?

Gordon