basement room insulation

Old 04-21-04, 12:22 PM
redux
Visiting Guest
Question basement room insulation

Hello, I am insulating a room in my garage. I plan to use regular fiberglass insulation for the wood frame walls (to be covered in drywall). The ceiling, however, is the floor of the room above. Since both the basement room and the room above will be heated should I use a different type of insulation there? Or, if I use fiberglass, which way should the paper face? Thanks for any help you can offer.--- redux

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-04, 06:16 AM
fiberglass is fine

The paper side should normally be to the top when installing in a basement ceiling. However in areas where humidity is a big problem I have seen the paper side down (usually on in FL or HI).

Old 04-22-04, 09:28 AM
Wink

Being that the room above will also have heat and cool in it. All that the insulation will do is serve as a sound deadener. Id just use the unfaced kind here . all the outside walls paper to the room.

ED

Old 04-22-04, 03:09 PM
redux
Visiting Guest
food for thought

Thanks for quick responses. The two conflicting answers are something to think about. the room above is heated but drafty and the floor is usually cold so I was hoping the insulation would offer more than just sound deadening. So I think I might just go with the first response. Thanks to you both. redux

Old 04-22-04, 03:29 PM
Wink

The ceiling, however, is the floor of the room above. Since both the basement room and the room above will be heated

This is why I said unfaced insulation for sound both top and bottom.

ED