Gambrel Roof Venitlation/Insulation

Old 06-13-04, 11:52 AM
monkeyman
Visiting Guest
Gambrel Roof Venitlation/Insulation

I have a new home with a cross-gambrel roof design. The soffits are continuously vented and there is a continuous ridge vent. The rafters are not insulated, as the space is not finished at the moment. I wish to insulate my roof and eventually sheetrock and finish the attic. Two questions:

I will install styrofoam vent channels before insulating. Problem is that there is a huge continuous LVL that runs along the gambrel hip break (where the roof pitch changes midway up the roofline). As a result, there is no way for air to travel from the lower 16" wide pockets to the upper 16" wide pockets and eventually to the ridge. I was considering drilling 3/4" holes through the LVL in each rafter pocket and "connecting" the air channels with flexible tubing. Will this be adequate for air flow?

Second question is: since roof is framed with 2x10's, I only have 8" left after putting in a venting channel. I would like to achieve a higher R-value than what would be accomplished by the highest density fiberglass batting. Is there an 8" rigid foam board product available to provide maximum thermal efficiency? All input on both topics very much appreciated.

Old 06-18-04, 12:19 PM
monkeyman
Visiting Guest
Anyone out there?

No replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: