Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

insulation & wiring

MA

04-22-04, 08:05 AM   #1  
insulation & wiring

Hi,
I have a room down to the studs on the second floor of my house, so I could do some rewiring and insulate the room.

I've completed the wiring and now am ready to move on to the insulation. I have 2 questions:

1. Are there any guidelines on whether the insulation should go behind or in front of the wiring?

2. The room is above an uninsulated first floor room. Would it be worth it to blow insulation down the wall cavity, even though I won't be able to get it past the windows on the first floor?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

04-22-04, 08:57 AM   #2  
Im doing similar work myself, and Ive run the batt insulation behind the wires, then I took my utility knife and cut the batt only about a third of the thickness along the cable run, and seperated the batt to wrap around the cable. This way the batt isnt compressed behind the cable.
If you can, since it is exposed, I'd blow down insulation to the cavities below..as much as possible...just my opinion....
Good luck with your renos...

MO

04-22-04, 09:40 AM   #3  
. The room is above an uninsulated first floor room. Would it be worth it to blow insulation down the wall cavity, even though I won't be able to get it past the windows on the first floor?
Id say any insulation that you can get in the walls down below there will help you some . Do it for sure.

ED

Visiting Guest

04-28-04, 09:08 AM   #4  
pw1972
When I did mine, I pulled the insulation apart and put the wiring in between the insulation. I think I was reading the "How to" tutorial on here and saw them do it that way.

MN

06-17-04, 06:00 PM   #5  
Posted By: pw1972 When I did mine, I pulled the insulation apart and put the wiring in between the insulation. I think I was reading the "How to" tutorial on here and saw them do it that way.
That's the way I've usually done it, although cutting it would work too. Actually, that might be easier than splitting it if you have multiple wires in the wall.

Search this Thread