Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wall Insulation Questions

Visiting Guest

04-23-04, 12:52 PM   #1  
haad
Am I crazy??

We will gutting a house we have purchased and was going to re-insulate the exterior 2x4 walls c/w 6mm poly. Since we have all the walls open, I would like to add a 2x3 over the existing exterior walls to get a 2x6 wall then I would be able to insulate with a R20.
1) Can I have that 1/2" air space between the poly and the insolation?
2) Or should I cut the 2x3's to be a 2x2 (1-1/2X2) to make the true 2x6 (1-1/2x5-1/2).Costs would be for material only as I would be doing this by myself.
We live in Canada, and it does get quite cold in winter and very humid/hot in the summer. R20 I think would be better than the R12 or R13.5 that I can achieve with the 2x4 walls..

Am I crazy?

Last edited by haad; 04-24-04 at 06:14 AM.

Sponsored Links

MO

04-27-04, 01:45 PM   #2  
Ill say this.I think it gets colder up there and longer than we do in Missouri. We tried it and it didnt work to good. A 2x6 out side wall and more insulation. With all the work around windows and doors with the trim . So we are back on a 2X4 wall R 13 and a V/B but on the out side we have added some of the insulation sheets some will give you a R4.5 Then a housewarp and the sidingI was up there some time back and I saw them put dry wall up in the whole home. Then they came back and put up another layer of drywall on all the outside wall and ceiling. they said cause it got cold there. I think you have to look at what the pay back to you in $$$$ will be and just what makes you happy

ED

Visiting Guest

04-27-04, 06:00 PM   #3  
haad
Thank you for replying Ed. The outside of the house is all brick, so tearing all the brick down is out of the question. You mentioned 2 layers of drywall, do you mean double layer on the inside? Or one in and one outside?
Window and doors are also being replaced so we can order them with the larger jambs.
R20 is the minimum that the new houses are being built with here.

Angelo

MO

04-28-04, 07:10 AM   #4  
You mentioned 2 layers of drywall, do you mean double layer on the inside?
Yes: Like I said when I was up there in canada They where all doing it that way seems like. They said it held up a lot better and made the home tighter.1/2" dry wall on top of the V/B ceilings and walls. then another 1/2"drywall on top of that. On all outside walls and the whole ceiling of the home .
With the brick build up the inside studs then for more insulation.

ED

Visiting Guest

05-01-04, 11:34 AM   #5  
haad
Thank for your help.

Angelo

Search this Thread