how best to proceed?

Old 05-05-04, 10:12 AM
how best to proceed?

i have made some previous posts to this forum regarding polyisocyanurate rigid insulation, and have determined that this is what i'm going to use in my basement. The basement currently has 2x2 wall frames attached to the concrete on the inside of the exterior perimeter walls. I can get the polyiso insulation for next to nothing and thought I would use as much as I could to get the highest R-Value possible. This is what I was considering for application:

1.Cut to fit and put insulation in spaces between 2x2 wall studs,
2.Place additional layer of rigid insulation over the top of the insulation/studs,
3.Vapor barrier,
4.Drywall

so the second layer of rigid insulation would be simply glued to the first layer and would not be between any wall studs. This should give me an R-Value of approximately 20 on the exterior walls. I will then use drywall screws that are long enough to go through the second insulation layer and catch the 2x2s.

Is there anything wrong with this proposed method?

Thanks for the help,
kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-04, 11:38 AM
Do you need to run any electric, tv or phone cables? If not, I say via con dios

Old 05-05-04, 01:11 PM
wiring is already run in most places, All the wiring is running right along the studs everywhere - I was just going to cut the first layer of insulation that goes between the studs so that it wouldn't interfere with the wiring

if this idea still sounds ok, I'm going to run w/ it - let me know otherwise

thanks for the help,
kevin

Old 05-06-04, 10:09 AM
Wink

Did you check code there. Lots of places by code you cant attach the wood strips or studs to the cement walls.

ED

Old 05-06-04, 01:31 PM
yeah i'm alright with studs on the concrete wall, i was just wondering if this sounded like it would work the way I plan on applying the insulation and drywall

thanks,
kevin