slanted eave vents

Old 05-24-04, 09:01 AM
gordon
Visiting Guest
adding slanted eave vents

I have a question regarding the installation of soffit vents in combination with a ridge vent. I have an older new englander style home that currently has gable vents on either end of the house. Eventually I will want to finish off the attic which is currently insulated with blown in cellulose. I am researching soffit vents. My home currently has slanted, overhanging eaves with no soffit. Could I add vents to slanted eaves or must I first construct a soffit and then vent. I am curious if the venting surface must be parallel to the ground surface in order to be effective?
A follow up question; I do not have gutters on the house. If I install vents along the eave, would the lack of gutters create a moisture problem in the attic?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Gordon

Last edited by gordon; 05-26-04 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-04, 01:00 PM
Wink

Id say the main thing you need is the foam vents that go over the insulation so the air from the over hang can get up in to the attic. Id pull the blocks that are now up there in the rafters out. Put foam vents over the insulation into the attic. Use the long strip vents all along there and 1/4" plywood cover on the bottom of the rafter tails. You do want gutters on a home .But they dont mean a thing here.

ED