Attic Insulation

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-29-04, 09:19 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 63
Attic Insulation

What R value does the older vermiculite/perilite/fools gold blown looking stuffs maintain? Does it carry same R values as regular insulation?

I am curious as I just discovered only about 3" of this stuff is all the insulation I have in my attic! I am a bit alarmed about it being so little.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-29-04, 09:33 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,873
http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/verm.html

All you want to know about vermiculite and a whole lot more.
 
  #3  
Old 05-29-04, 09:41 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 63
Hmmm that doesn't sound to promising for me, considering I have spent the better part of a couple days up there stirring it up pretty well.

So, I saw one area that spoke of leaving it undisturbed, or should I remove it totally?

I am in need of obvioulsy adding insulation over this since all I have currently is 3" and am in a R30 zone
 
  #4  
Old 05-30-04, 06:05 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,873
It depends. If you intend to leave the ceiling below unchanged, then just add over the vermiculite. If you intend in the future to replace the ceiling below the insulation or do any type of remodelling that would cause you to disturb the vermiculite, then remove it now before you add more insulation. Also consider wiring, plumbing, heating and air conditioning future needs.

Not all vermiculite has asbestos in it and even the vermiculite that has asbestos, it is only a small percentage of the vermiculite. Should you have it tested? Answer no, but you should treat it as if it has asbestos. You do not want to be exposed to this stuff for prolong periods of time and on a regular basis. To be honest, you are exposed to a 1,000 times more air borne asbestos that will cause you and me lung ailments from brake disc pads a day than spending a few days in your attic with vermiculite.

Considering you don't even know if your vermiculite has asbestos, can you remove and dispose of it safely? Answer yes. Regardless if the vermiculite has asbestos or not, if you intend to remove it yourself, get yourself a good air filter breathing mask and disposable jump coveralls and gloves.
 
  #5  
Old 05-30-04, 06:40 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 63
Well, my remodeling plans, meaning plumbing and electrical, have been finished now. So short of adding more insulation to the attic I doubt I will have a use for disturbing it anymore.

I guess now the question is do I leave it or remove it?

Does this stuff retain the same R values as regular insulation?
 
  #6  
Old 05-30-04, 07:28 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,873
The vermiculite does have R-Value and is only slightly less than other types of insulation. Since you do not intend to do any more remoldelling, you can add more insulation on top of the vermiculite. It does not matter if it is batts or loose fill but I would prefer loose fill because it eliminates any gaps in coverage which adding batt insulation usually does.

If you are wondering, vermiculite has a little bit more than R-2 per inch depth. Three inches should be R-7 and adding insulation on top of it does not effect the R-Value of the vermiculite.
 
  #7  
Old 06-01-04, 01:42 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,389
Wink

That vermiculite you have there was used most of the time for inside cement block walls . It sure did work good. But boy if you came back and had to cut a hole in the wall it was just like water the way it ran out of the wall on you.
If your going to blow more insulation in over it and for sure you should.Id use cellulose for it. The fiberglass is good and will give you the R you want BUT try it. Take a small torch to a piece of the fiberglass insulation. It wont burn but it will melt. Now take some cellulose and put the torch to it.It will turn black and it might glow a little. but it will not melt like fiberglass will and say let a roof fire get through to the home. Also it wont itch when you blow it in.

My .02 cents ED
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes