100 yr old home remodel-insulation question

Old 05-19-04, 07:47 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
100 yr old home remodel-insulation question

I am remodeling an old home and now that ir is gutted, I see no insulation. I will insulate but notice that the studs are many different variations apart. Some are 12 inches centered, some 14, some 16 and some as much as 20. The rolls of insulation that I find are of course set up for 16 inch centers. Do you have any experience with the foam board that I see at my local diy center? I am feeling that that may be the way to go as I can adjust my cuts to fit my openings. Is it a good and economical way to insulate?

Your thoughts please!

Old 05-19-04, 09:50 AM
Sneezy
Visiting Guest
it depends on the R value of the foam board. I have not seen the foam with higher than a 10 R value (not to say it is not out there). The higher the R value, the better.

Old 05-19-04, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I think if your DIY center there is home depot. Talk to them they should have cellulose insulation and the blower for it. Like here when the electric is done in the outside walls they come in and blow the cellulose insulation in. It is a little wet and will stay right up there for you. when dry put a 4 mil poly over it and then dry wall. This will save you a lot of time in trying to cut and fit tight any other kind of insulation.

ED

Old 05-22-04, 06:39 AM
G
Sounds good guys, thanks for the help.

Old 05-27-04, 05:53 AM
I live in MI and am having a similar situation to what the first poster described. I'm really interested in the cellulose idea, but am coming up empty when trying to find a place to rent the equipment to do it.

Any places other than home centers (Depot or Lowes) you can think of?

Thanks!

Old 05-27-04, 12:51 PM
All I can say then is look in the phone book there. Any just rental store's around you. Are call an insulation company and see what and if they blow the cellulose.

ED

Old 05-27-04, 10:58 PM
Thanks!
I did find a home center that rents the equipment I need, but I'll still look around to see if a there's a smaller place that can help me. I like to give my money to them if I can.

Another question though;
The home center had cellouse insulation, however the packaging referred only to attic coverage and I really need it for the walls. Any idea if I can use their stuff between wall studs?
I know that's not a lot of info to go with, but I'm still researching....

By the way, thanks again for the tip about cellulose, it is exactly what I needed.

L

Old 05-28-04, 11:56 AM
Thumbs up

All I can say ask around. There is one cellulose you can spray with just a small amount of water. They use it here all the time. What I like about cellulose it dont burn.Take some fiberglass it dont burn BUT it will melt and let a fire get through. Cellulose will get black but will not let a fire get through the home. You can blow it into a wall ,put a V/B up then the drywall. Come back and blow it in.

ED

Old 06-09-04, 05:40 AM
RELWELL
Visiting Guest
100+ Year Old house with No Insulation

I'm in the same boat with a 100+ year old house with no insulation, but I don't want to gut the house, just to insulate. I've heard you can cut holes from the outside to blow in the insulation. How hard is this to do and what about the vapor barrier?

Old 06-09-04, 09:43 AM
Wink

Yes you can blow it in from the outside. Just cut round holes to fit the hose. check with Home depot they have the blowers and the cellulose insulation. On the V/B there is a paint out that will work as such.So just repaint the inside.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: