Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

blown attic insulation

FL

06-14-04, 06:17 PM   #1  
blown attic insulation

The attic insulation in my new home was blown in, cellulose I'm guessing, as it looks like balls of newspaper dust.

Anyway, it's not evenly placed, some areas are 7-8" thick (or more), others maybe an inch in spots. It's it worth my effort to crawl through the attic and smooth out the insulation by hand?

How about coming back over it with another layer of unfaced R13? The attic is already rated for R30, but this is Florida..

Sponsored Links

MO

06-17-04, 12:38 PM   #2  
Cant you get the guys back that did it. There's no call for it to be that way. How can it be R 30 if you have only 1" in some spots. You need a good 8" for a R 30. Yes you can put unfaced over it .go across the truss with it. Down here make sure that the attic has all the vents it should.

ED

FL

06-18-04, 08:53 AM   #3  
This was done at the factory (it's a modular).

Maybe I should include the uneven insulation on my walk through list?
They also left the waste materials from the holes cut for the attic vents, compressing those spots of the insulation. I'll be including that on my walktrhough, that's just lazy workmen not reaching through and pulling out the trash!

Search this Thread