Replace or cover over old insulation in attic

Old 06-15-04, 07:43 AM
L.Terry
Visiting Guest
Replace or cover over old insulation in attic

My house was built in 1982, has central air conditioning and heating. In a small attic is the blower/heater unit (air conditioning unit is outdoors). The insulation in this attic insulates 3 interior walls and 1 exterior wall. Most of the paper facing on the insulation in the attic is completely ripped up and alot of the insulation has fallen apart and has fallen down all over the attic. When you open up the attic it is very very dusty with alot of debris in the air and I am concerned as to whether the debris from the insulation is being pulled through the blower and heater unit and distributed throughout the house. What is the best way to fix the insulation? Should it all be taken out and replaced or should we clean up the fallen stuff as best as we can and put more insulation over top of what is there? The flooring has alot of loose insulation, not blown in it doesn't appear, just loose, packed pieces of insulation all over it under the boards. The attic is approximately 10'x11' and has so much dust, I think from the insulation, that it doesn't seem like it can all be cleaned up. Does it need to be due to the blower/heater unit housed in there? Any help would be greatly appreciated as to how to repair the insulation in this attic.

Last edited by L.Terry; 06-16-04 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-17-04, 12:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Not sure just what you have there. if this paper in falling down from up in the roof rafters thats wrong you dont want insulation there next to the roof boards. You want to be up there when the blower unit is on and see if you have any leaks in the duct work also in the return to the unit. You say 82 could have some ducts that came apart? Check it all.

ED

Old 06-18-04, 01:09 PM
L.Terry
Visiting Guest
Replace or cover over old insulation

Thanks for your reply.There is no insulation on the roof rafters at all. These are 3 walls in the attic space that I am talking about, most of the paper is ripped up and the insulation has deteriorated and fell apart over the years, and is just laying all over the floor--that's how bad it has all come apart. This isn't my main attic, it's just a small one to house the blower/heater unit. I am trying to find out the best way to fix it, either by repairing it or replacing it. The ducts are in pretty good shape and I did cover up a couple of small leaks in them. There is alot of dust, and I mean alot of dust that seems to pour all over my house every day and I am not sure if it's from the loose insulation being distributed throughout the house from the blower unit or not. There is so much dust I can wipe it off of something, then the next day it will be completely covered again, not just a little bit but everything in the house literally gets covered that quickly. Thanks for your advice. Any more you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-04, 01:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say anything about a filter there in the ac unit????
Is there one ??? If not you have to get one in right away.
get a good pleated filter in there and change it every 30 to 90 days This will start to stop the dust. You might look at the coil and see that it is clean also.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: