Frustrated over insulation

Old 06-19-04, 07:18 AM
beltman
Visiting Guest
Frustrated over insulation

OK, I have placed a question in here months ago, and the time is coming that I will be closing on my house in 5 days.

I have blown insulation, I have read all the comments over why take it out.....etc..., the inspector put the R value at a 6, the house is 33 years old in south new jersey.

I would like to either roll out new insulation or remove the blown stuff and add, but please, My question what is the better way to go without adding more "blown" insulation.

Barry

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-04, 09:51 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
I can tell you that I just finished my attic and had the same questions.

My house is a 2 story and 40 years old.

I ended up removing all the old insulation out of my attic in April.
I used a big shop vac to completely clean the attic so it would be safe to breathe up there without a filter mask.
I took advantage of the wide open work area to do some re-wiring of ceiling lights and fans and adding cable outlets to bedrooms.
Then I installed the chutes for the soffet vents that I had yet to install.
(I already have a full length ridge vent and 2 gable vents).

When I was ready in May, I rolled out faced R-19 bats between the joists and then R-25 un-faced bats perpendicular to the joists.

It is done now and the difference is amazing. The upstairs is no longer significantly warmer that the downstairs. And I havn't even finished installing the soffet vents yet. (I have the south side of the house to do yet).

We like it to be cool at night when we sleep. The AC used to run until about 5 to 6 in the morning before it would come down to 70 degrees and kick off. Now it kicks off around 2 to 3 AM.
I can't wait to see my next electric bill to compare usage from last July to this July.

If you plan to stay a while at your house I highly recommend doing the attic the right way. I have lived in so many houses over my lifetime with inadaquate insulation in the attics. What a difference this is!
It is an improvement that probably won't get you much as far as added re-sale value. But done right, it really pays off over time with lower fuel bills.

Old 06-21-04, 07:53 AM
beltman
Visiting Guest
Thank you ...

for the advice, I am going to start that on this friday. Among all the information about "why remove the old stuff" I am going to remove it, I have to remove the carpets and wall paper in all bedrooms, and the attic access is in the master closet, so I am going to do this once and now is the time, I too have to do some work up there, with re-wiring. I appreciate your reply

Barry

Old 06-21-04, 10:58 AM
Wink

Why take the old out just add to it with blowen are roll out batts over it. I sure would

Ed

Old 06-21-04, 08:31 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
Why take the old out just add to it with blowen are roll out batts over it. I sure would
In my case, the old insulation was in very bad shape. It was filthy in the attic and there had been vermin living up there at one time. Having to re-wire the ceiling light fixtures so they work with the light switches (as opposed to the switches activating wall outlets and having pull cords on all the ceiling lights), well that just iced it for me to get up there and start over with all new stuff.

(That and I am somewhat of a clean freak)

Old 06-22-04, 05:36 PM
Thumbs up

Go for it Bag it in big trash bags works.

ED

Search this Thread