Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

insulating sections of attic floor, and kitchen walls

Old 06-26-04, 04:33 AM

From scanning past posts here it seems like I can rent a blower and material from Home Depot and do it myself. A few specific questions about my 100 year old house. Generally I am wondering if I should blow loose fill or a foam.

Attic. I live there and the roof is a 45 degree angle. The entire attic is insulated properly except for those areas on the edge of the attic that are the 3 feet or so where the roof meets the edge of the house. That area I use for storage. It is behind a door that I can fasten tightly. The storage area is part of the spacing that is between the roof and the insulation outside of the attic living space. This area `breathes' via the vents in the soffits and the attic vents/fan. Sorry for the long explanation. Anyway. The floor in there is unfinished hard wood. To stop the heat in the winter from coming up from the flr below, I would like to install insulation. I figure it is easier to cut holes and blow it in than take up the old flring and install fiberglass. Do you agree?

Kitchen walls. I also have about 20 feet of kitchen walls that need insulation back there. Some of the spaces between the studs have electrical outlets, some of them windows. Will it be safe to blow insulation in a space with an outlet? Can I blow it in around spaces with the windows?

Last edited by dvarga; 06-26-04 at 04:38 AM. Reason: I forgot to take out the mention of the attachment
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-04, 12:46 PM
Wink

Behind that knee wall you want to put up foam rafter vents up in the rafters. So after you blow insulation out there the air can get up there from the over hang vents, or so you dont block them off. Yes you can blow the cellulose insulation in the wall with the electric outlets in there and around the windows. You might take up just one floor board and feed the blower hose in it turn the blower on and pull the hose out slow this work good.

ED