insulation around chimney?

Old 07-10-04, 10:01 AM
insulation around chimney?

hi,
i'm about to put up drywall in a second floor room. our chimney comes up through one of the interior walls (I live in a 2 family house, and the chimney runs up between to two units). I've insulated all the exterior walls, but I was wondering if I should insulate around the chimney to prevent cool air coming up from the basement.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't do this? What is the best type of insulation to use (rolled, blown-in, etc) for this purpose? My basement gets damp in the summers, should that raise any concerns or affect the insulation/vapor barrier I use?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-04, 12:48 PM
Wink

Lost ,you dont say what the chimney is. brick or B gas vents. I would just block off the air at the bottom and at the top if brick you can have some hydrostatic water come down in it. You could use polystyrene insulation next to it is about all.

ED

Old 07-10-04, 01:59 PM
sorry, i left out that it is a brick chimney.

i will get some polystyrene insulation, as you mentioned.

thanks for the reply!

Old 07-11-04, 06:34 AM
at my local mega home store they have a spray foam called "Great Stuff". I was wondering if this would be an option, since the open gaps around the chimney are pretty small.

my only concern was that the can says that the cured foam is flammable to a flame or if exposed to temps above 240 F. The chimney is used as the exhaust for my oil burning furnace.

Would the outside of the chimney running up through my home ever get that hot? I can't imagine it would, but better safe than sorry.

Old 07-11-04, 08:07 AM
Wink

You could check the inside tile liner and see if its good or not first.

ED

Old 07-11-04, 08:33 AM
Hi Ed,

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean by "tile liner". I appreciate the help, but need clarification.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-04, 10:09 AM
Wink

By tile liner. When you look up at the top of a chimney. you see like a box comeing up from in the chimney thats the tile. It should go all the way down to the furnace. you could look up from a clean out down in the basement and see if its ok. Are have some one check it out to see if the flue is ok. You can just roll up fiberglass no paper on it and put it there . It wont burn but it will melt from flame.

ED

Old 07-17-04, 07:09 AM
Hello again --

You mentioned its OK to just use fiberglass insulation, so I will do that. Would any humidity coming up from the basement cause any probelms on the fiberflass insulation? Would the bricks really get hot enough to melt it?

Also, there doesn't appear to be a box coming up from my chimney. In the 2nd floor room I am working on, it looks like there used to be a stove of some kind in the room before - there is an opening in the chminey that is covered with a piece of metal.

I looked in the opening, and all I saw inside was brick, no metal chamber running up the length of the chimney.

Old 07-17-04, 02:13 PM
Wink

there is an opening in the chminey that is covered with a piece of metal.
Be sure and take the metal cap or cover off of this and brick and cement it shut for sure.it can rust out on you later . So you dont want it left there.

ED