Another room above garage question.

Old 07-12-04, 12:21 PM
cthRaleigh
Visiting Guest
Another room above garage question.

Hi all,

We've purchased an 8 year old home which has a room above the garage that the previous owner had refinished a few years ago. Like many other's with rooms like this I've discovered that this room is much warmer than others in the house.

I've done some investigating. The pitched ceiling looks like it has been properly insulated, but when I climb into the crawlspace at the front or back of the room I see that there is no insulation between the garage ceiling and the room's floor. In fact I can see clear from one side to the other under the floorboards and can see daylight from the vents under the eaves.

This should make it easy for me to blow in insulation, but does raise a couple of questions about how I should go about it.

1. Should I blow insulation in at the back end of the room so that there is some resistance for the other insulation that I blow in from the front? In other words, if I just try to blow insulation in from the front, won't it just try to continue filling up the crawlspace in the back if there is nothing there to stop it's movement?

2. Do I need to worry about any type of vapor barrier?

3. Would insulating the garage be enough instead of blowing insulation?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-04, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

I would put up the foam rafter vents so the air gets over the insulation and blow insulation over all of the garage ceiling. If you use cellulose you can feed the hose under that floor part all the way.Then turn the blower on as you pull the hose back out. This will fill the rafters good.

ED