Need advice: Bad insulation job?

Old 07-15-04, 10:12 PM
CJK
Visiting Guest
Need advice: Insulation touching roof

I just had my Berkeley, CA attic insulated (previously uninsulated) with R-30 batts, by a professional company.

I am very disappointed/worried with the result, and I need help in figuring out how far I should go to correct these problems:

1) In 20% of the attic, the batts (John Manville incapsulated) are touching the roof.

Since it never snows in Berkeley, how crucial is it that [I]no insulation touches the roof?

2) They did not install soffit baffles, just "kept the batts away from the soffit vents." Is that sufficient?

Any advice much appreciated!

CJK

Last edited by CJK; 07-15-04 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-04, 05:03 AM
You should be concerned!

Attic insulation should be in the ceiling joists, not in the rafters. (provided it does not have finished living space)

Also, Baffles should have been used to prevent the insulation from blocking air flow.

Even though you don't get snow, the insulation should not touch the roof deck. It will decrease the life of asphalt or wood shingles and will prevent moisture from escaping.

I would make the contractor correct these problems if I were you.

Last edited by Inky; 07-16-04 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-16-04, 11:33 AM
Thumbs down

) They did not install soffit baffles, just "kept the batts away from the soffit vents." Is that sufficient?
It should go over to cover the wall plate. The baffles would let the air up into the attic.

Since it never snows in Berkeley, how crucial is it that [I]no insulation touches the roof?
For sure not.it should be in the ceiling rafters of the home or like in the floor of the attic, with V/B or face side down.

ED