Insulating a wooden shed

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-04, 04:15 AM
ray57127
Visiting Guest
Insulating a wooden shed

Hi ,
I was wondering if it was possible to insulate a wooden shed. I have a wooden shed in the back garden and wanted to put a fish tank into it. I am afraid in the winter it will become so cold that the heater will keep coming on. Is it possible , what materials will i require. I am living in Ireland, so winters are not extremely cold. shed is about 10 ft by 6 ft with a felt roof.
ray

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-04, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
shed insulation

Greetings,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sounds like reflective insulation would be your best bet. This material refects about 97% of the heat energy in and out. If you have cool summers you may have to leave a window open because the earth will be cooling the building. In winter the earth/floor will help to warm it. Unlike FG and others this material is unaffected by moisture conditions and will not cause dry rot of the framing nor will you have mold problems.
Ckk xxxxxx and look at the NT material. If you need something with a little more strenght you can use the bubble foil.

You should be able to find a mfgr in england, if not xxxx may be able to help you.

You might also want to contact xxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxxx. xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-18-04 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Directing comments off forum to private mail, posting email address, and put down of moderator
Old 07-31-04, 07:41 AM
You mention a heater. I guess that it is a heater for the building. If it is just the tank heater, it seems that a tank heater alone would not be sufficient to keep the tank warm during cool outdoor weather.

Here is a link that has a paper on the tested results of different types of insulation and a discussion on the effectiveness by methods of installation.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/insulation/

Hope this helps.

Old 08-01-04, 11:49 AM
ray57127
Visiting Guest
Insulating a wooden shed

Great thanks all for your help

Closed Thread