Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Which Styrofoam Insulation to use on a houseboat

OH

08-10-04, 08:05 PM   #1  
Which Styrofoam Insulation to use on a houseboat

I am in the process of building a houseboat.

The exterior walls of houseboats are made of a fiberglas reinforced plywood (no studs to create a wall cavity... fiberglas reinforced plywood provides the bearing wall alone) Most boats that are built completly by a manufacturer are not insulated at all.

If a houseboat manufacturer does insulate, the fir out the walls with 2x2's and use 1-1/2 inch thick styrofoam.

My question.... Since I am buliding this boat myself... I don't know what type of styrofoam is best. Our local big department hardware store sells two types in 4x8 sheets...

one type is the traditional white styrofoam with no labeling at ~$8/sheet

the other is made by Dow Corning is kind of pink in color and it's label says R-7.5 it also feels a little more "dense" that the white type... this type is ~$15/sheet.

Any idea what the R-value for the white type would be? Is the more expensive type worth the money?

Any information would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

CANADA

08-10-04, 09:08 PM   #2  
Steve,

The pink one is a closed cell insulation which is moisture resistant and the one to use on your houseboat.
The white styrofoam which has an R value of 5 per inch is open cell and will allow moisture to be absorbed.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Search this Thread