Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

looking for some advice on insulating an attic in an old home

PA

08-17-04, 05:15 PM   #1  
looking for some advice on insulating an attic in an old home

The house is 100 years old, however, the orginal part of the house actually has mud & straw insulation in the walls with decent storm windows so I have minimal drafts. I've been in brand new houses that have more drafts than this one. the addition doesn't have any insulation in the walls but I'll address that when we renovate the kitchen next year. It's also very small, so it's not a money hog but I'd still like to control the heat loss.

I have a ton of heat loss through the attic. It was obvious with how much the snow melted last winter. There is some fiberglass blown in the ceiling but it's a really bad job with lots of gaps and not very thick.

the question is how much, where & what vapor barrier? I'd like the attic to be insulated so that I can use it for somewhat climate controlled storage. I can get an R-19 in the attic floor and maybe R-19 in the ceiling but probably only an R-13 given the required air gap. I'm going to try and do this environ"mental"ist as well. cotton or newspaper cellulose or ultratherm cottom bats.

So I'm thinking to blow in the R-13 or R-19 into the attic floor with no vapor barrier and put in R-13 in the ceiling with a plastic vapor barrier on the inside. that gives me about a R-30 total. Remember 100 years old. no standard joist spacing and they didn't own a square or a level. There is a small chance that we will raise the roof and add a third story but that's pretty unlikely. The roof is vented properly and it's not as much of a concern as modern houses anyway. solid oak tongue and groove decking with slate tends to last a bit longer than plywood and ashpalt

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-22-04, 07:42 PM   #2  
harold james 39
insulation of attic

I have seeked advice on same subject
I have a 100yr old house
\first before you do any thing make sure what type of wireing you have you could burn down your house
if you have nob and tube get professional advise
good luck
harold james 39

PA

08-23-04, 07:45 AM   #3  
thanks James. I've been slowly removing the Knob & Tube for the past ten months. I should have the last of it out in the next month or so. Except for a few places that I just can't meet current code the entire house will be up to the current NEC code.

Search this Thread