homebild...crawlspace insulation

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-04, 09:40 AM
julie53
Visiting Guest
homebild...crawlspace insulation

Homebild

I;ve read some of your posts concerning crawlspace insulation. Ihope you might be able to guide me also. I live in Indiana about a mile from lake Michigan, a couple months of high heat and humidity in summer and of course cold winters.

I bought a 9 year old ranch, approximately 1200 sq feet. The crawlspace has two useable vents and two that someone tried to permanently seal off. There is duct work for the HVAC system in the joists and also plumbing (PEX). The furnace is in the living area and the AC is of course outside the building. The walls are cinderblock

The space is damp but I am not positive as to why. The building had plumbing problems and probably 1 or 2 gallons of water was allowed to sit on the vapor barrier. Also the vapor barrier was not covering the entire ground. In the past someone tried to insulate the walls by sandwiching insulation between plastic and hanging it from the footers. When I tore it down the wall beneath was damp. (Oh and incidently the former occupants were growing plants in the crawlspace!)

Since I have moved in I have cleared out all the old insulation and placed new vapor barrier on the floor.

What to do next?
Do I want to completely block the air vents? Or unblock the other two?
Do I insulate the walls or insulate the floor between the joists?
Do I wrap the duct work?

I've read so much conflicting information I'm completely lost. My primary concern is energy efficiency and keepign my feet warm in winter!

Thanks
Julie

Last edited by julie53; 08-18-04 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-04, 01:35 PM
Wink

Julie53 go to http://aboutsavingheat.com/crawlspace.html
Read all of it and I think it will get you going.

Yes close and seal all the vents. Put down a 6 mil poly on the ground and up the wall some . Over lap it 2' and tape all seams. Up there put a 3" polystyrene on the walls up to the floor joist. Cut a R 19 in blocks and put up there in the joist space there on the sill plate all around the home.
We dont insulate the duct and cut tow small vets in the duct to let air get there in the crawl space. This way the whole thing works like a heat sink for you. So warm floor happy wife.

ED

Old 08-18-04, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
crawlspace insulation,

Greetings,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-18-04 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Directing discussion off forums to private mail
Old 08-18-04, 04:54 PM
Thumbs down

Is ahimmel trying to sell you on that R/B forget it. check the gov www. They say it dont work . goes down hill from the day you put it in.

ED

Old 08-20-04, 11:34 AM
insulation

Greetings,

The comment that these materials (RBs) are useless is a HVAC contractor fabrication. The government actually says that they do work. The problem with the govs tests is that they do not represent installed conditions just as FG, cel and foam tests do not represent installed conditions. There has been demands that the gov test to installed condition, but they refuse, claiming they do not have the money, yeah, sure. If FG was tested to installed conditions, no one would buy it. I recommend foam and RBs depending on the situation. I sell SIPs and a a stand alone RB product. FG and cellulose are not viable products for my customers.

Right now I am recommending a foam or RB based building sys thaty will probably eliminate the heating sys and air conditioning sys. The added cost for the type of eff is about 5% more or less. You can see why HVAC contractors are not thrilled with RB.

The code tests require installed conditions tests, that is why FG is not listed as a thermal insuating product.

Ck rima.org
Search, "fiberglass liigation", and "radiant barrier litigation"

The industry could not make the claims it does if they where not true because the FG industry would complain to the FTC. Unforunately the same rules do not apply to the FG industry. And yes, there is a reason for this. It's a one word reason starting with M----.

I have not had as much RB experience as xxxxxx does, but my several years experience has proven that RBs are a better way. I beleive I owe that to my clients because they expect the best from me.

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-18-04 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Put downs of moderator, directing readers off forums
Old 08-20-04, 12:36 PM
Thumbs down

This is the part that gets me

Right now I am recommending a foam or RB based building sys thaty will probably eliminate the heating sys and air conditioning sys. The added cost for the type of eff is about 5% more or less. You can see why HVAC contractors are not thrilled with RB.
All I can say is SHOW me

ED

Old 08-21-04, 09:13 AM
insulation

Greetings,

However, I can say that they are semi passive methods built into the structure and it's support sys. The a/c sys can be retrofited to an existing home if a high eff insulation is used to upgrade the structure and some other paramaters are met.

Regards.

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-18-04 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Directing discussion off forums to PM
Closed Thread

Search this Thread