Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Semi-finished Basement Insulation

Visiting Guest

08-26-04, 07:10 PM   #1  
jarchill
Semi-finished Basement Insulation

My house has a partially finished basement. One room is not finished nor is it heated or cooled. However, there is a connection for future ductwork leading into this room. Above this room is a 2 car garage which is supported by a concrete slab on metal decking and a steel beam.

My short term goal is not to completely finish this room immediately, but to heat/cool it. In the future, I'd like to leave open the capability to finish it with drywall. I'm going to hire somebody to install ductwork to heat/cool this room. But I was thinking about insulating the concrete basement walls myself.

1. Would you recommend a standard 2x4 (or 2x3) stud wall system with insulation? My only question with this system is can the insulation be exposed without being covered with gypsum board? If I went this way, I'd go ahead and wire up some outlets before insulating.

2. Or should I go with a blanket insulation system with furring, which is what one website recommended for unfinished basements? But my concerns about this system are the limited R-value due to the small thickness of the furring (I live in Raleigh, NC-not sure what R-value I would need) and the capability to finish the walls in the future. For example, is adding outlets and drywall a problem later? Do you add the outlets before insulating like you do for a stud wall?

3. Another option somebody recommended was glueing rigid foam board to the walls now and then in the future, adding a stud wall with extra insulation b/n the studs. But can this rigid foam stay exposed for fire reasons? Do they make any that have a high enough fire resistance?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

MO

08-27-04, 05:31 PM   #2  
1. Would you recommend a standard 2x4 (or 2x3) stud wall system with insulation? My only question with this system is can the insulation be exposed without being covered with gypsum board? If I went this way, I'd go ahead and wire up some outlets before insulating.
For sure go with the 2X4 wall drop a 6 mil poly on the cement wall first then the 2X4 wall 1" out put R 13 in the studs bottom plate a P/T 2X4. you can dry wall it any time.

Above this room is a 2 car garage which is supported by a concrete slab on metal decking and a steel beam.
I think I would get some kind of a good sealer to put on this floor right now so no water from the cars ,oil or just dirt junk can get into the cement floor there and down to the room below. You might want to look into some kind of heat and AC for in the garage there with that floor .

ED

Search this Thread