Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tropical House Insulation

Visiting Guest

09-19-04, 04:00 PM   #1  
seawolves
Tropical House Insulation

I am new to the board, hopefully someone can give a few suggestions. Our plans are to build a 20x30 foot house, still deciding on whether it will be block or wood. It will have a 6 foot wide porch on three sides and a 10 foot on the other. Probably will be built on a concrete slab.
My questions are:
If block what would you suggest in the way of insulation on walls? Inside/outside?
If wood what would you recommend for walls?
Any roof suggestions? metal/shingle? Insulation?
I know these are open questions but any suggestions are welcomed. The house will be located in the southeastern Bahamas on an island where electricity is $.33 kwh, so it needs to be as energy efficient as possible.

Thanks
seawolves

Sponsored Links

MO

09-22-04, 04:52 PM   #2  
Hey after all the hurrica's we have had here go block with rebar ties from the slab up to the cement collar beam around the home. With roof ties in it. Your across from west palm ,here on block they go P/T 1"X2" on the walls and then fill in the 1" with cellulose insulation is all. On down in the U.S.Virgin islands you just paint the block. Besure and over vent the attic and go for a hip roof there.

ED

Search this Thread