Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What is this stuff in my attic?

danolie's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

10-01-04, 12:38 PM   #1  
What is this stuff in my attic?

I have some strange substance UNDER the rolled insulation in my attic. My neighbor said something about some fire retardant put in during the 1930's... but I don't know if that's what this is. My main concern is whether it is asbestos based... check out http://www.ouroldhouse.info under "pictures" then "attic" if you think you might know.

Sponsored Links
resercon's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,873

10-01-04, 06:13 PM   #2  

The only type of attic insulation that I know that contains asbestos is Vermeculite. The insulation in your pictures is not Vermeculite. It may be a slag type of insulation like Rock wool or Mineral Wool. To me it looks like Cellulose, which is a paper product which contains a fire retardent chemical known as Boric Acid. Take a small piece of it outside and light a match to it, if it does not light at all then it is probably a slag insulation. If it lights but goes out when you remove the match, then it is probably Cellulose. If you want more information on asbestos in our homes, go to the above stated address.

twelvepole's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,834

10-09-04, 06:42 PM   #3  

For pictures of vermiculite, go to http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/insulation.html#What

kuhurdler's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 588

10-12-04, 01:41 PM   #4  
I have the same stuff in my attic (built in 1985) so I know it is not asbestos.

Search this Thread