Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kraft faced batts

Visiting Guest

10-21-04, 04:36 PM   #1  
razinghell
Kraft faced batts

I am finishing my basement and have the framing and electrical work all done, now to insulating. Would It be easier to use the krafted faced bats or unfaced bats with plastic sheet over it? And if i were to ust the kraft faced stuff do i staple the flaps in between the studs or on the face or the studs.
I will be insulating the ceiling and all walls for heat loss prevention and sound dampening?

Any advice would be welcome

Sponsored Links

MO

10-21-04, 04:40 PM   #2  
We staple the paper face to the room side and the flap inside the studs. Dont make a bump on the studs like some do. Then put a sheet of 4 mil poly over the whole wall for a good V /B then drywall.

ED

Visiting Guest

10-21-04, 04:51 PM   #3  
razinghell
"Dont make a bump on the studs like some do."
Im sorry but i dont understand what you mean by this.

"Then put a sheet of 4 mil poly over the whole wall for a good V /B then drywall."
Will this cause condensation between the faced bats and the poly?

Thanks for you fast answers.

MO

10-22-04, 08:18 AM   #4  
When I have had the guys staple the flap on the outside of the studs. You get one flap on top of the other and it can make a bump in the drywall. Sooooo no more staple them inside the stud. Then a sheet of poly over it all makes a good V/B for the whole wall. Have had no problems over many years this way. It does get very cold there.

ED

Visiting Guest

10-22-04, 02:53 PM   #5  
razinghell
I understand now thanks for your help.

Visiting Guest

10-24-04, 08:36 PM   #6  
razinghell
I actually have one more question, if you dont mind. i put all of the bats in the walls. and I plan to put 4 or 6mil poly over them. Will it make that much differance if I dont staple the bats into the walls? I means since I am going to staple up the plastic anyway? I would do it but, in the interest of time would it make that much of a difference?

MO

10-28-04, 09:48 AM   #7  
I would staple them some. we staple the tab in side the stud you dont get bumps in the drywall that way and the 6 mil poly covers the insulation and the studs.

ED

Search this Thread