Insulate garage roof?

Old 10-22-04, 12:26 PM
Insulate garage roof?

1968 single story South Calif. home with attached garage has no insulation on two walls and none between roof and beams that make the garage "attic" but during the summer it gets very hot in garage. If I go up on a ladder inside the garage, it gets much hotter each step. Would it be worthwhile to install insulation? What would be the best way?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-04, 12:58 PM
Wink

You dont say what you have for vents for the attic in the garage. Thats where you have to start. Yes a R13 in the walls and in the ceiling rafters will help. But you have to vent it first.

ED

Old 10-22-04, 03:47 PM
Vent in garage

The garage has a vent above the big door. From the outside it is a square opening about 1' X 1', maybe bigger with wood fins. Cannot see daylight from inside the garage at any angle while looking at opening. I don't think it is decorative, I just don't see how it vents. Anyway, what is the best way to insulate the roof/ceiling? Foam boards? Rolls of insulation that are duct-taped in place until I attach thin plywood to hold the insulation?

Old 10-23-04, 03:09 PM
Wink

If you mean to put the insulation up in the roof rafters dont .If you dont put up first the foam rafter vents so the insulation is not next to the roof boards.

ED

Search this Thread