Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Have to install insulation under part of attic floor

Old 12-06-04, 04:36 PM

I have a 85 year old house and I am living in the third flr (attic) apt. The `walls ' of this entire apt consists of the 45 degree angle roof. In one section a vertical wall was placed to create a storage space between the wall and the roof.

I need to insulate under the flr of this section, it is about 7' x 20'. It is rough old toungue and groove planks, over joists, over lathe and plaster (the ceiling of the second flr).

How best to insulate this? Without insulation, this cold section shunts a lot of heat from the second flr, up the roof and out (no insulation on roof there, not practical).

I was thinking three ways in order of my preference: Any suggestions?

1) Cut holes in flor and pour in vermiculite in the holes. then spread it around with a stick. Is vermiculite even being used these days?

2) take up three toungue and groove close to the roof , the length of the space and three more close to the wall. Then feed in fiberglass insulation, then restore the planks.

3) blow in insulation after cutting holes in planks. ($100 to rent blower + insulation material itself)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-04, 05:35 PM
Wink

#3 is what Id go for . But that sounds awful high to me is that from Home Depot and Lowes. Can you feed the hose all the way in there and blow as you pull it back out of there
#1 yes its still around but if you have it you are to just let it alone and let it stay where it is. AND dont stir it.

ED

Old 12-11-04, 12:54 PM

Are there any spray foam products that I might consider for this application?

Dave

Old 12-11-04, 02:37 PM
Thumbs down

Yes there are. But I dont think you even want to go there for the $$$$$$$$$ cost.

ED