replacing old insulation

Old 12-11-04, 09:08 AM
replacing old insulation

I just bought a house that has a finished attic. It is three rooms. The middle room has two full sized doors that lead into the unfinished attic space on either of the finished portion. The unfinished spaces run the length of the house and are about 8-10 feet deep. These areas are currently insulated with typical fiberglass insulation. The insulation is against the roof and covered with cardboard. I would like to pull out that insulation and put in new insulation. I've been told by several people that the correct way to insulate this is to leave the roof area without insulation and put the insualtion on the floor. My only problem with that is that those two doors to the unfinished space are regular inside doors and uninsulated. I would also like to use some portion of the unfinished for storage. So, based on my limited knowledge of these things, I thought I would remove the existing insulation, lay insulation on the floor of most of the unfinished space and have closets that are about ten feet wide built into the portion of the unfinished space that I would like to use. In that space, I would put insulation on the backside of those new walls and against the roof.

Any I crazy to think this is the correct paln? I would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-04, 02:09 PM
http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings...pdfs/26447.pdf

The last section of this page illustrates the different ways to insulate the area you are referring to. It is known as Knee Wall Insulation.

Old 12-11-04, 04:23 PM
Thank You.